Sunday, October 21, 2007

No Leaves, but Plenty of Pine Needles

We had the first winter storm of the season Friday. It dumped some snow--not measurable, but also left lots of pine needles to clean up. We thought we were escaping the fall raking tradition--boy were we wrong.
But, as "green" as Oregon is, most people burn the needles vs bagging and having them hauled to the landfill. I guess after months of smelling wildfire, a few more pine needles to reduce fuel for future fires isn't so bad, is it?

3 comments:

Juliet A said...

Can't you compost pine needles? I thought you were into that.

The Huni Family said...

Haven't tried composting them... My previous experience with pine is that it is very acidic and tends to need lots of lime added to be able to grow something other than more pines in it.

Juliet A said...

This year I'm doing my usual - waiting for a big storm to blow all my leaves down to the bottom of the hill so someone else can rake and bag them. I get one every year.

I bowled 322 series today, BTW.