Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Today's question: rent or buy

We've been looking at houses here in Sisters. If you pull it up on Realtor.com, you'll see they're at least as expensive here as they were in Virginia. Half-a-million dollars for a house?! Still scares me. Anyway, we found a place we think we'd really love, but they're asking $549,000. It's over an acre and beautiful, but on a retired O-5 salary, that just ain't happening.

We figure the options are rent for a few months until one of us (ok, David--his earning potential is WAY higher than mine, and the kids would drive him crazy) gets a job, then look at the really nice places. OR buy a smaller place on an acre or two right now where we could add on or rebuild later.

But that's too depressing, so I'll tell you some of the reasons I love this town already:

Today David went in to rent a post office box so we'll have a way to receive mail. Before assigning a box, the asked, "How tall is your wife?" so they could give us a box we'd both be comfortable using. How cool is that? Last time we had a PO box it was about hip-high and a pain to check!

We also went to the school to see what we'd need to register. I remember registering the kids in Virginia; I had to have birth certificates, shot records, and a lease or bill addressed to me to prove where we lived (as if I couldn't just print out and sign a lease, or make up a bill on my computer!) Today I explained that we were living in the RV park until we rent or buy a house. "No problem, just put down that address." I asked if they needed proof that we're living there and she said, "Well, if you have a receipt, that would be great." This is truly an old-fashioned small town.

And yes, I know there are draw-backs to that--everyone knows everyone elses business. But I think the pro outweigh the cons.

Tomorrow we're taking Douglas to the middle school to sign up for classes and maybe looking at a couple houses.

Tschuss!

No comments: